SCHOOL WELLNESS COUNSELOR - RED LAKE SCHOOLS
June 14, 2022
COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH SERVICES
SCHOOL WELLNESS COUNSELOR
RED LAKE SCHOOLS
Close: July 1, 2022
The School Wellness Counselor will be responsible for providing services through individual, group, and family counseling for students in the Red Lake Schools.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Refers students having suicidal thoughts to Behavioral Health Professionals.
• Assists in suicide prevention activities that support awareness and intervention.
• Provides individual, group, and family supportive services to students and families in the Red Lake School District.
• Provides counseling services in an environment that is culturally sensitive, nurturing, and non-judgmental to students with emotional problems.
• Works closely with the Behavioral Health Workers in providing services to students in each school.
• Plans and conducts group sessions with identified students as needed.
• Provides education on life management skills, suicide prevention, crisis intervention, parenting skills, anger management, behavioral and conflict resolution, prevention of physical and sexual abuse to individuals and families, and conducts outreach and peer mediation.
• Maintains individual student and family files to include: Consent Form, Release of Information Form, Individual Treatment Plan, Progress Notes, Psychological and Educational information, and miscellaneous correspondence to workers, parents, and school personnel.
• Provides support, assistance, and educational services to school staff or as assigned by the Behavioral Health Professional.
• Collaborates with other community behavioral health agencies and colleagues to provide services and identify referrals.
• Participates in regular behavioral health meetings, suicide prevention meetings, school meetings, and other meetings or functions as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
• Performs other administrative or clinical duties that may be necessary or appropriate to accomplish the goals/objectives of the Behavioral Health Director.
High School Diploma, GED preferably Bachelor of Science degree in Social Work, Psychology, or Counseling, or some college with experience in counseling youth and families.
The School Wellness Counselor is under the direct supervision of the Behavioral Health Director of the Red Lake Comprehensive Health Services.
Skills and Knowledge
• Knowledge of the mission, organization, program requirements and policy of overall health care delivery system of Comprehensive Health Services.
• Knowledge and skills in providing health care services to students and families.
• Skilled in effective and diplomatic oral and written communication in dealing with various people and organizations.
Individual must be sensitive to the cultural background of mentally ill individuals and provide care in an environment that is supportive, nurturing, and non-judgmental.
Individual must possess a current driver's license and car insurance. Must be fully vaccinated for COVID 19.
Federal General Schedule Level 7/1, plus full benefits package.
Employment application can be picked up at the Red Lake Comprehensive Health Services. Submit your application along with copies of your high school or GED, driver's license and another form of identification (ID) to the Red Lake Comprehensive Health Services. For further information contact Cheryl Schoenborn @ 218-308-1707