BWCAW quota permits for the 2024 season open on Wednesday, January 31, 2024, at 9:00 a.m. CST
Duluth, Minn, December 8, 2023-The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) permit reservations for the 2024 quota season, May 1 – September 30, will be available beginning at 9:00 a.m. CST on Wednesday, January 31, 2024. Visitors are encouraged to book their reservations online at http://www.recreation.gov/. Reservations may also be made by calling 1-877-444-6777. To ensure a successful reservation, Forest managers encourage visitors to:
• Visit the Superior National Forest website for information on the Superior and the BWCAW page for an overview to traveling in wilderness and helpful trip planning information.
• Thoroughly review the BWCAW Trip Planning Guide and carefully consider whether a primitive wilderness trip is the best option for your group. You might discover a gem of a campsite outside the Wilderness that provides a unique backcountry experience with no permit reservations or visitor use fees required! The Superior has 254 backcountry campsites.
• Plan ahead by having at least three travel options (dates and entry points) in mind before making a reservation. Exploring new destinations is part of a wilderness experience!
• Reserve only the permit(s) you can use. Choose an entry point that fits your skill level and a trip date that works for your schedule.
• When a permit holder makes multiple reservations in their name on the same entry date or has overlapping reservations, all but one permit will be cancelled by the Forest Service without notification, because a group leader can only lead one trip at a time. Do your research now! Look online for route planning guidebooks, trip ideas and information. You can also contact local outfitters, guides, resorts or cooperator permit issuing stations. Refer to the back page of the BWCAW Trip Planning Guide for more information.
The BWCAW is a federally regulated area with regulations and rules that must be followed. Permit holders are responsible for sharing the Leave No Trace Video series with their entire group prior to arrival. Everyone shares responsibility in preserving wilderness.
• BWCAW on Rec.gov: https://www.recreation.gov/permits/233396
• Superior NF website: https://www.fs.usda.gov/superior
• BWCAW Trip Planner: https://usfs-public.app.box.com/v/BWCAW-TripPlanner
• BWCAW Rules and Regulations: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/superior/specialplaces/?cid=fseprd852569
Leave No Trace Video Series:
• BWCAW Video Part 1: https://youtu.be/nen7lRqEjm8?si=xjymFqWDBWvb0RpS
• BWCAW Video Part 2: https://youtu.be/GA4-yvVKu48?si=bgD8QO01E7ha3iLa
• BWCAW Video Part 3: https://youtu.be/PmoP3rGdmek?si=sdKTgC7LQPcCSZ8T