DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES, FORESTRY
Open: December 6, 2023
Closing: January 17, 2024 @ 12:00p.m.
The Greenhouse Manager is responsible for the supervision of daily operations and personnel of the greenhouse facility
of all to insure that each crop of trees is grown to acceptable standards. The incumbent reports to Department of Natural Resources Forestry Program Director. This is a full-time position with benefits and salary dependent on qualifications.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• Operations for managing coniferous tree crops include seedling tray preparation, including soil preparations, seeding trays, fertilizing, fungicide applications, inventory and record keeping.
• Managing and maintaining greenhouse heating, ventilation and watering systems; also managing soil and water quality to maintain optimal environmental conditions to maximize growth potential of tree seedlings.
• Supervising the removal and transfer of each crop from the greenhouse to the shade house.
• Performs routine inspections of the greenhouse crops monitoring growth, mortality and health of seedlings grown for Red Lake and other organizations.
• Responsible for ordering and receiving of equipment and supplies necessary for tree seedling production and the necessary maintenance of the greenhouse facility and grounds to achieve those goals.
• Maintains inventory records for tree crops and administers contracts for seedlings sales to outside entities.
• Generally, an 8:00am to 4:00pm work schedule obligation, but may require occasional weekends or evenings as required by the needs of any crop in progress.
• This position is under the direct supervision of and will work closely with the Forest Development Forester
• Greenhouse Technicians are under the direct supervision of the Greenhouse Manager.
• Incumbent is responsible for applying their experience and using good judgement in performing greenhouse tasks in an economical and safe manner.
• Most work is performed within the boundaries of the greenhouse complex, and in the confines of the greenhouse environment where conditions can be hot and humid.
• Work is performed utilizing many different greenhouse chemicals and materials. Appropriate safety equipment and measures are required.
• Training or experience in greenhouse operations through a technical or professional degree in forestry or horticulture.
• A thorough knowledge and understanding of the greenhouse operations and a basic understanding of Forestry operations.
• Knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing software is essential to maintain good inventory records and for daily business correspondence.
• Employment contingent upon passing pre-employment drug testing in accordance with the Red Lake Bands' Personnel Policy and background check.
TO APPLY: Applications and copies of certificates/diplomas are being accepted at the Government
Center – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 Phone (218) 679-1847