Candidate Fair To Be Held at Red Lake Nation
October 17, 2022
The Red Lake Political Education Committee (RLPEC), a tribal non-profit, and non-partisan organization, will be hosting a Candidate Fair on Tuesday, October 25, 2022, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. The Fair will be held at the Oshkiimaajitahdah (New Beginnings), 15525 Mendota Ave., Redby, MN. (five miles east of Red Lake on Highway #1, Entrance back of the building)
All candidates for local and statewide office, US Congress District 8, MN Senate District 2 and 2A, Beltrami County Sheriff, Beltrami County Commissioner District 4, and Red Lake School Board District 38, who would represent the Red Lake Indian Reservation have been invited. Red Lake Nation (Reservation) alone has over 2900 registered voters.
Candidates who have confirmed attendance (as of the October 14th RSVP deadline) include: Jen Schultz (DFL) US Congress District 8, (her opponent Pet Stauber (GOP) declined) Alan Roy (DFL) and Steve Green (GOP) for State Senator District 2; Reed Olson (DFL) and Matthew Grossell (GOP) for State Representative District 2A; Jarrett Walton and Jason Riggs for County Sheriff; Tim Sumner for Beltrami County Commissioner; (his opponent Joe Neff did not respond) and Candidates for Red Lake School Board.
State Executive office of Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, and State Auditor are also on the ballot, but are unable to attend.
The event is informal and begins at 5 p.m. A light supper of chili and fry bread will be available at no cost or free-will donation for all attendees.
"We hope to draw both Indian and non-Indian participants from all of Beltrami County", said RLPEC Chair Michelle Paquin. "We expect local and tribal elected officials, political activists, and interested voters seeking information about candidates prior to the Minnesota general election on November 8, 2022. We expect this to be very informal and fun.
• 4:45 to 5:00 - Mixer, (Chile & Fry Bread – Free Will Donation)
• 5:00 pm - US Congress District 8, Jen Schultz (15 min) Opponent Stauber declined.
• 5:15 to 6:15 - Senate District 2, Leonard Alan Roy and Steve Green, & State Rep. District 2A, Reed Olson and Matthew J. Grossell (four? candidates) (2 min open and close) (Q & A, 1.5 min.)
• 6:15 to 7:00 - Beltrami County Sheriff Jarrett Walton and Jason Riggs (2 min open and close) (Q & A, 1.5 to 2 min.)
• 7:00 to 7:15 - County Commissioner Tim Sumner (15 min) Opponent Neff did not respond
• 7:15 to 8:00 – Red Lake School Board (1 min open and close)
• 8 to 8:15 - Close (Thank-you's and mixer)
The Red Lake Tribal Council, the Red Lake Political Education Committee, Oshkiimaajitahdah, and the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians sponsor the Candidate Fair.
RL PEC Mission Statement: The Red Lake Political Education Committee (RLPEC) was formed in 1996 to educate and register Red Lake voters. We take pride in being the oldest, most active, and effective Political Education Committee in Minnesota's Indian Country.
The purpose of this corporation (RLPEC) is:
• To support and conduct nonpartisan research, education, and informational activities to increase public awareness about their right to vote and participate in elections.
• To increase voter participation in tribal, state, and federal elections within the membership of the Red Lake band of Chippewa Indians and;
• To increase voters knowledge of political and social issues.