Attacks in Al Bab, Syria Leave 15 Civilians Dead
August 23, 2022
Edinburg, TX - On Friday, August 19, 15 civilians were killed, including five children, and over 30 others were injured, including at least 11 children, in military attacks on a popular market, a school, and civilian homes in Al Bab in northern Syria. The school and homes were significantly damaged.
Many displaced families live in Al Bab after seeking refuge from major attacks in 2018-2019. Al Bab is one of the largest cities in the eastern countryside of Aleppo.
Dr. Khaula Sawah, president of UOSSM USA said, "Our hearts go out to the victims and their families of these heinous crimes against innocent civilians. Over the years, Al Bab has been the subject of several military bombings and attacks, an area where displaced families have moved to as a last resort fleeing violence. We just commemorated the ninth year since the chemical attack in Ghouta and civilians continue to be targeted to this day. We call on the international community to put a stop to attacks on civilians and civilian areas, and to hold the perpetrators accountable."
Since 2012, UOSSM has been providing emergency medical relief and healthcare services to the Syrian people affected by the crisis, working primarily inside Syria and with Syrian refugees in Turkey.
In 2021 UOSSM Provided:
– medical services to almost 1.4 million people in Syria and Turkey
– protection services to over 55,000 people
– nutrition services focused on women and children to over 184,000 beneficiaries
– care to over 40,000 people through our mental health and psychosocial support program
– health care services to over 1 million patients at Bab Al Hawa Hospital through the end of 2019