A message from Red Lake Conservation Law Enforcement: 2022 Elk Hunt in the 1863 Treaty Territory (Old Crossing Territory)
August 18, 2022
Red Lake Band Members:
On June 9, 2020 under Resolution 139-2020, Red Lake Tribal Council enacted the use and protection of the treaty rights of the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians under the Old Crossing Treaty signed on October 2, 1863. Under this Resolution, there will be a 2022 Elk Hunt by lottery permitted off Reservation in the Old Crossing Treaty area. The lottery system will select five (5) individuals or parties of 2-5 to harvest either an antler or antlerless elk. All hunters in party must be Red Lake Tribal Members.
It was decided that this being the first year for Red Lake Band members to utilized said treaty rights, only 5 permits would be issued at this time. In the future, the number of permits may be increased.
• Each Red Lake Tribal Enrolled Member may only take part in a single hunting party.
• If any enrolled members attempts to join multiple hunting parties, all applicants from all those parties will be void for 2022 season.
• The lead (main) hunter must be present at all times, but the assisting hunters need not be present for every hunt. Only those on application may take part in the hunt.
• Each member applying for the hunt will need to present a current valid tribal ID and Ceded Territory License (available through Conservation) when filing application for 2022 Elk Hunt with Red Lake Conservation Law Enforcement.
• All applicants must be 18 years or older.
• All hunting parties must follow the Red Lake Ceded Territory Code in the off reservation Old Crossing Treaty Territory.
Lottery application submission dates: August 31, 2022 to September 13, 2022
On the morning of September 14th, 2022 at 8 AM the lottery drawing will be held.
The season will held during day light hours of September 15, 2022 – December 31, 2022; One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunrise.
More information regarding the 2022 Elk Hunt will be given to the winning parties of the 5 permits.
If any Red Lake Band Member has any questions they may call 218-679-3313 or Message our Facebook page at Red Lake Conservation Law Enforcement | Facebook