Red Lake Nation News - Babaamaajimowinan (Telling of news in different places)

Homeowner's faulty water heater installation led to house explosion, fire that killed Hopkins couple

"A gas line was not reattached following the installation," a statement from the Fire Department read

 

August 11, 2022

Richard Tsong-Taatarii, Star Tribune

Hubert Vassar, 85, and Sharon Vassar, 83, died late last month when their house exploded in Hopkins and caught fire.

Faulty installation of a natural gas water heater by a Hopkins homeowner led to an explosion and fire that killed him and his wife in the house he built more than a half-century ago, officials said Wednesday.

The incident on July 27 at the home in the 200 block of 21st Avenue N. claimed the lives of Hubert "Herb" Vassar, 85, and Sharon Vassar, 83. The blast shook nearby homes and could be heard 15 blocks away.

Officials with the State Fire Marshal's Office and the Hopkins Fire Department "learned that the residence's water heater was recently replaced, and a gas line was not reattached following the installation," a statement from the Fire Department read. "This allowed gas to leak into the residence and eventually ignite."

https://www.startribune.com/faulty-water-heater-installation-blamed-for-house-explosion-and-fire-that-killed-hopkins-couple/600197214/

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 10/03/2022 16:44