DIRECTOR OF FINANCE - RED LAKE BAND OF CHIPPEWA INDIANS
August 8, 2022
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
RED LAKE BAND OF CHIPPEWA INDIANS
OPEN: July 25, 2022
CLOSING: August 26, 2022 @ 12:00 p.m.
The primary responsibility of this position is to manage and oversee all financial activities of the Tribe, including accounting operations and purchasing operations of the Red Lake Nation. Reports to the Tribal Treasurer, full-time position with benefits, salary; DOQ
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• Plans, organizes, oversees and directs the Tribe's Financial department operations, including without limitation financial planning, financial operations (treasury, budgeting, audit, tax, accounting, purchasing, real estate, and insurance activities for the Red Lake Nation).
• Establishes or recommends to management, major economic objectives and policies for the Red Lake Nation.
• Provides oversight to tribal enterprises for financial matters; provides advice, direction and consultation when need arises. May be asked to review, comment, and make recommendations for improvement
• Prepare monthly financial reports for management, including summarize and forecast Tribal business activity and financial position in areas of income, expenses and earnings based on past, present and expected operations.
• Directs and manages the annual tribal budget process, ensuring regular reviews are performed with tribal programs.
• Coordinates completion of the annual external audits of tribal accounts to ensure questions and requests from auditors are responded to in a timely manner, review and approval of all final adjusting journal entries is complete and review of the draft financial statements.
• Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and capital and prepares balance sheet, profit and loss statement and other reports to summarize current and projected tribal financial position to make forecasts.
• Makes recommendations regarding improving operations and financial position of the Red Lake Nation.
• Advises management about insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities.
• Conducts quarterly updates and reviews with the Tribal Council per Investment Policy. Updates Investment Policy as needed.
• Establishes the Indirect cost proposal and monitors compliance with specifications contained therein. Also, interfaces with Tribal Director/Managers to assure indirect funding allocations adequately support operational requirements. Manages the Indirect Cost agreement in compliance with Federal specifications for cost reimbursement.
• Prepare reports required by regulatory agencies and, other special reports on operating functions of the Red Lake Nation.
• Management of investments and loans for short and long range financial plans.
• Familiarity with existing legislation relating to Tribal and individual Indian taxation and other issues pertaining to Indian issues in economic development and tribal sovereignty.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance is required, Master's preferred. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is required or be similarly credentialed.
• Minimum of 2 to 6 years of progressive experience in financial management, accounting, preferably in the field of tribal government.
• Must possess knowledge of general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and revenue recognition.
• Must have excellent oral and written communication, organizational, time management, conflict resolution, and analytical skills, proficient with computers and other office equipment.
• Must be able to manage multiple deadlines and tasks efficiently and effectively.
• Must have the ability to maintain the utmost level of confidentiality.
• Employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug test and background check
TO APPLY: Applications and copies of certificated/diplomas are being accepted at the Government Center – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 Phone (218)-679-1847.