The Minnesota Legislature Should Deliver Bipartisan Solutions to Create Infrastructure Jobs, Make Workers Safer and Expand Economic Opportunity
February 1, 2022
Saint Paul, MN — The 2022 session of the Minnesota Legislature commenced today. Minnesota’s infrastructure union released a legislative agenda calling on the Legislature to create family-sustaining jobs and advance workplace safety and economic inclusion for working Minnesotans.
Joel Smith, President and Business Manager of LIUNA Minnesota and North Dakota said, “We believe every worker deserves a job that can sustain their family and future. Our lawmakers have a duty to make sure all working Minnesotans have the protection and training they need to do their job well and return home safely at the end of the day. Our communities and economy are stronger and safer with a local and diverse skilled construction workforce to build the infrastructure fueling Minnesota's economic prosperity. LIUNA urges the Legislature to deliver bipartisan solutions to create infrastructure jobs, make workers safer on the job, and expand union construction career opportunities to women, veterans and people of color.”
LIUNA members look forward to making their voices heard advocating for Laborers’ priorities and concerns. Our 2022 legislative agenda includes:
Creating Local, Living Wage Infrastructure Jobs
• Pass a large, bipartisan local jobs and projects bill that makes robust investments in water and transportation infrastructure and multi-unit housing that creates high-quality building and construction jobs across the state.
• Make a transformational investment in critical drinking water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure.
• Fully-fund local matches to make our roads, bridges and transit safer, more reliable and connected.
Improving Refinery Safety
• Strengthen safety standards for refinery workers and communities by requiring contractors at oil refineries to employ a safe and skilled workforce trained through registered apprenticeship.
Building a Clean Energy Economy
• Accelerate deployment of statewide job-creating clean-energy infrastructure.
• Continue to support the thorough, predictable and timely review of mining projects to ensure they meet strict environmental and labor protections and do our part to meet the worldwide need for critical minerals.
Expanding Economic Inclusion
• Support diversity and inclusion in the construction industry and workforce training through expanded training and career opportunities for women, veterans and people of color through Registered Apprenticeship programs.
Chartered in 1968 by the Laborers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA), LIUNA Minnesota & North Dakota is based in Saint Paul and serves the members, families and retirees of five Local Unions: Local 563 (Minneapolis-Saint Paul Metro, Mankato & Saint Cloud Areas & North Dakota); Local 405 (Rochester & Southeast Minnesota); Local 1091 (Duluth-Superior, Northeast Minnesota & Northwest Wisconsin); Local 1097 (Iron Range & Northern Minnesota); and Local 363 (City & County Employees Union of Minneapolis-Saint Paul & Greater Minnesota).