Red Lake Nation News - Babaamaajimowinan (Telling of news in different places)

By Michael Burns
Director of Public Safety 

Youth Violence Prevention Community Circle - Wednesday, October 27th

Red Lake High School Football Field

 

October 14, 2021

There has been a recent spike in juvenile violence on the Red Lake Indian Reservation. Drive-by shootings, attempts to run people over and fights are among the type of crimes that the Red Lake Department of Public Safety has seen an increase in. There have been injuries and in at least one case - hospitalization. There have been several "near misses".

The Red Lake Department of Public Safety, Red Lake Conservation, Red Lake Family and Children's Services - Ombimindwaa Gidinawemaaganinaadog, Red Lake Courts, Red Lake Detention, Independent School District 38, Tribal Government and various Federal and Local Law Enforcement partners have been working together to address this situation. Increased enforcement, longer-term incarceration, off-site rehabilitation services and other alternatives are being considered.

There will be a Community meeting on Wednesday, October 27th, 2021, from noon to 3 PM, at the Red Lake High School. Due to Covid-19 precautions this will be an outdoor meeting. In the event of inclement weather, the Red Lake Humanities will be used with social distancing in place. This is an opportunity for members of the community to voice their concerns and ideas, and to engage in meaningful dialog regarding youth violence issues, truancy and parental accountability.

We one-hundred percent recognize that 98 percent of our juvenile population go to school and stay out of trouble, while the other 2 percent are causing major problems in the community and we commend and fully support those that are doing the right thing.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 10/22/2021 18:43