U.S. Army Says There Are 'Several requests' From Families for Disinterment of Children Buried at Carlisle
July 22, 2021
CARLISLE, Pa. - Following last week's exhumation of nine Rosebud Sioux youth who were buried at the former Carlisle Indian Industrial School for more than a century, Army officials said they are working with additional requests for disinterment.
"We are working on several requests from other individual families at this time," said the director of the Office of Army Cemeteries, Renea Yates, at a press conference on Thursday, July 15. She said additional exhumations could take place as soon as next year, but gave no additional details.
In 1879, Carlisle Barracks became the site of the nation's first Indian Boarding School, operated by the Department of the Interior until 1918. During its 39 years of operation, it forcibly assimilated 7,800 Native American children from tribal nations across the country through a mixed-model of Western education and hard labor. Many children died of sickness-caused by disease, poor living conditions, and abuse-while at the school.