School/Community Liaison - Red Lake Elementary Complex
March 4, 2021
Red Lake School District, ISD#38
P.O. Box 499, Red Lake, MN 56671
"...where each child is valued, life long-learning is embraced and students are empowered to become Red Lake Nation ambassadors in the global community."
When the Children thrive, the Nation Thrives
Internal and External Posting: 03/03/2021 – 3/12/21
Position Title: School/Community Liaison
Supervisor: Building Principal
Building: Elementary Complex
Bargaining Group: MSEA
Terms: Per MSEA Master Agreement
Qualifications: High school diploma, GED, or Associates. Must have and maintain a valid driver's license. Ability to travel up to 50% of time to scheduled meetings/home visits in a wide range of weather conditions. Be community oriented preferably with experience in youth programs or school activities. Demonstrate ability to work well with the community at large, to include parents, guardians, and students. Have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character and initiative. Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with students, parents, staff, community and administrators. Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, using proper grammar and vocabulary. Complete a background check. Pass a drug and alcohol test.
Position Overview (Basic Purpose of Position): The Liaison will develop relationships with families and eliminate barriers for the families. The Liaison will provide an outreach for families. They will assist students and families to develop habits that maintain daily school attendance and communicate with parents regarding their concerns and needs that may impact overall school successes. The Liaison will work with students that demonstrate special education needs and facilitate appropriate communication between school and home with parents and guardians to clarify and assist parents in their understanding of the special need process.
Major Position Duties:
REGULAR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
List of things to accomplish in job function NECESSARY SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILTIES
What you should know or be able to accomplish in job function PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
How will you know the job is done?
Serve as the School Liaison to improve attendance
• Design family support plans to improve attendance for the student.
• Independently problem solve issues on an individual basis with students and/or families. Analyze and report any safety concerns to proper authorities and supervisor.
• Conduct scheduled visits to student's residence to develop healthy, positive family attitudes towards academic success, attendance at school, and student growth and development.
• Assist in developing and maintaining home visitation record.
• Create meetings and present reports related to home visits, student academics, family, and social concerns.
• Analyze and submit written reports to administration regarding court or other legal actions involving students who are truant in the community and maintain appropriate records.
• Evaluate and protect confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal parameters.
• Attend appropriate in-service, workshops, or conferences to further the effectiveness of the Liaison's work with students, parents, and community.
• Perform any duties and responsibilities that are within the scope of employment as assigned by administration not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation.
• Apply ethical behavior in work with students, parents, school staff, and outside agencies associated with the school.
Serve the Special education process
• Meet to discuss student and family needs, understand the implemented interventions for students, and follow-up with parents to review intervention plans and provide information about the referral process, due process, and the individualized education program (IEP).
• Generate information and training to special education staff to help staff better work with parents. Discuss topics such as: language and culture, attitudes toward school, attitudes toward disabilities, child rearing, general customs and beliefs.
• Provide information to families regarding the history and purpose of public education and special education, definitions of disabilities and eligibility. Describe to families special education programs and services, the rights of parents to be involved in making decisions affecting their education of children with disabilities. Educate on ways of working with schools and resolving problems related to education in general and to special education in particular. Assist administration in the monitoring of student attendance, participation in school activities, academic success, and attendance and truancy concerns.
• Facilitate communication between school staff and families for Pre-referral Interventions, referrals, and evaluations.
• Act as a contact point for parents and/or students to answer questions that arise regarding the special education program
Other Duties As Assigned
• Knowledge of school and community programs, activities, and facilities.
• Knowledge of educational programs and community resources.
• Knowledge of CPR/AED and Universal Precautions.
• Ability to develop rapport and gain cooperation of community.
• Ability to learn and apply established procedures.
• Ability to interpret and apply oral and written instructions.
• Ability to work flexible hours or shifts as directed.
• Ability to understand limits of authority.
• Ability to work with a multi-cultural community and recognize the sensitive nature of the position in working with people with different cultural backgrounds and expectations.
• Ability to interpret and explain District policies and procedures as they relate to position.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to maintain accurate records.
• Ability to meet predetermined deadlines.
• Ability to plan and organize work assignments.
• Ability to judge when to act independently and when to refer situations to an administrator.
• Ability to work cooperatively with employees, students, parents/guardians, and the public.
• Ability to recognize and report hazards and apply safe work methods.
• Possess physical and mental stamina commensurate with the responsibilities of the position.
• Meetings are attended and documentations of monthly staff reports have been created.
• Educational and support services have been promoted.
• Communication flows between all groups.
• Students attendance is improved though academic success and activities.
• Attendance issues are identified and addressed quickly.
• Assistance is provided for families.
• Records are kept of the home visitations that are held.
• Court and legal documents are provided to the administration in a timely manner.
• Information is kept confidential
The physical demands described here must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
1. Use strength to lift items to perform the functions of the job.
2. Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
3. Speak and hear.
4. Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
5. Communicate effectively using proper grammar and vocabulary.
6. Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, computers, and/or controls.
VERIFICATION OF COMPETENCY:
1. District application and resume'.
2. Required documentation outlined in the qualifications above.
3. Letters of reference from former employers, teachers, or other professional sources.
4. Employment interview.
To apply send complete District application, cover letter, resume, and credentials to: Human Resource, Red Lake School District #38, PO Box 499, Red Lake, MN 56671.
Red Lake Schools #38
(218) 679-5102 Office
(218) 679-2321 Fax