MnDOT advances more than 200 road projects during 2020 construction season
November 10, 2020
ST. PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation advanced or completed more than 200 road and bridge projects during the 2020 construction season that is now wrapping up throughout Minnesota. An additional 36 projects enhanced safety at railroad crossings, and 15 projects extended or repaired runways or other infrastructure at local airports.
“Minnesota’s 2020 construction program represented a broad mix of projects that improved all modes of transportation and provided jobs throughout the state during a challenging year,” said Jay Hietpas, MnDOT assistant commissioner, operations. “While COVID-19 created challenges in some areas, the reduced traffic volumes we saw early in the season helped in some cases to minimize disruptions to travelers. We want to thank everyone in both the private and public sectors who helped make this season a success, and worked diligently to keep projects on track.”
Notable projects completed in 2020 include the Highway 5 “Around the Airport” construction near MSP International Airport; the new Highway 63 bridge in Red Wing; concrete resurfacing and safety improvements along 18 miles of Highway 23 between Cottonwood and Granite Falls; and reconstruction of five miles of Highway 210 west of Fergus Falls. In addition, two important multi-year projects that began in 2020 include the Twin Ports Interchange in Duluth, and improvements to Interstate 94 between Maple Grove and Clearwater.
Construction highlights by region include:
Northwest Minnesota (MnDOT District 2)
• Highway 1/Highway 59 in Thief River Falls – Resurfaced road and constructed two roundabouts. Construction of the Highway 1/Highway 59 roundabout will continue in 2021.
• Highway 72 International Bridge in Baudette – Completed and opened the new Highway 72 Baudette/Rainy River International Bridge, in cooperation with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation. Off-roadway work will continue in 2021.
• Highway 200 in Laporte – Raised road and installed new culvert to reduce flooding.
• Highway 2 in Bagley – Resurfaced Highway 2, resurfaced multi-use trail, improved accessible pedestrian ramps curb and gutter, storm sewer and highway lighting.
• Highway 2 and Highway 6 in Deer River – Reconstructed Highway 2 and Highway 6 in Deer River, replaced sidewalks, underground utilities and culverts.
• Highway 169 near Shakopee – Completed the Diverging Diamond Intersection at Highway 41 and Co. Rd. 78 south of Shakopee.
• Highway 21 in Jordan – Completed the United Pacific Railroad bridge, and expected completion of the Sand Creek bridge in November. Both bridges were built in the 1950s.
• Highway 212 in Norwood Young America – Crews are nearing completion of a J-turn, pedestrian tunnel, intersection improvements, roundabout and paving of Highway 212 in Norwood Young America.
• I-94/494/694 in Oakdale, Maplewood, Woodbury – Replaced bridges, repaired pavement and reconstructed lanes for this east metro interchange and bridge safety project.
• I-35W@94 Minneapolis – Reopened the ramps from southbound I-35W to 35th Street, and from 46th Street to northbound I-35W, as well as paved northbound lanes during the third year of this four-and-a-half year project.
Northeast Minnesota (MnDOT District 1)
• I-35 Lake Avenue Bridge – Resurfaced the Lake Avenue Bridge spanning I-35 in downtown Duluth; improved sidewalks, signals, police and traffic cameras; and added bike lane and left-turn lane onto Superior Street.
• Highway 61 in Grand Marais – Completed first year of two-year project that will reconstruct Highway 61 in Grand Marais and improve other infrastructure.
• Highway 53 in International Falls – Completed first year of two-year project that will repair pavement, improve drainage/storm sewer system, improve pedestrian accessibility, build multi-use trail, and add new signal systems and LED lighting.
• Highway 1/73 – Completed first year of two-year project that will resurface 21 miles of Highway 1 and five miles of Highway 73, replace 10 culverts, and realign Highway 1/53 intersection.
• Highway 37 Gilbert – Completed first year of two-year project that will resurface Highway 37 through Gilbert, replace underground utilities, and improve intersections.
Central Minnesota (MnDOT District 3 and District 4)
• Highway 10 in Wadena – Reconstructed road, replaced city water and sewer utilities, improved pedestrian sidewalks and approaches, upgraded signals.
• Highway 47, Isle to Ogilvie – Reconstructed road and two bridges, added turn-lanes, replaced pipes.
• Highway 24 in Annandale – Reconstructed road, replaced city water and sewer utilities, improved pedestrian sidewalks and approaches.
• Highway 169 near Milaca – Installed three reduced conflict intersections, improved access.
• Highway 210 west of Fergus Falls – Reconstructed from west of I-94 to just east of the Otter Tail/Wilkin county line, resurfaced with concrete, widened shoulders on west end of project, constructed turn/bypass lanes and truck inspection lane, and installed snow fence.
• Highway 28, Highway 29, Highway 114 in Starbuck – Complete streets reconstruction in Starbuck; resurface, replace utilities, improve pedestrian accessibility. Road is expected to reopen in early November. Additional work will take place in the spring to finish up the project.
• Highway 55 near Barrett – Replaced bridge over the Pomme de Terre River.
• Highway 10 in Detroit Lakes – Completed improvements at the County Road 54 and Kris Street intersections in Detroit Lakes, including adding new traffic signal.
• Highway 28, Chokio to Morris – Resurfaced 13 miles, replaced culverts and installed snow fence near Morris, improved pedestrian accessibility in Chokio.
• Highway 75 near Wheaton – Replaced bridge over the Mustinka River north of Wheaton; resurfaced from bridge to Fifth Avenue in Wheaton.
Southeast Minnesota (MnDOT District 6)
• Highway 63 in Red Wing – Replaced bridge and constructed new connections to roads on each side of the Mississippi River (Wisconsin and Minnesota). Completion expected in November.
• Highway 14, Dodge Center to Owatonna – Constructed bridges over new four-lane sections, paved new road west of Claremont. Work continues in 2021-2022.
• Highway 61 – Reconstructed highway through Lake City. Constructed two traveling lanes with a middle left-turn lane, and made improvements for pedestrians and bicyclists along Lake Pepin.
• Highway 63/I-90 interchange – Replaced northbound Highway 63 bridge over I-90, reconstructed I-90 off-ramps to northbound Highway 63, included acceleration lanes and rerouted Highway 30 intersection. First year of two-year project.
• Highway 60/Highway 57 roundabout in Wanamingo – Constructed new roundabout.
Southwest Minnesota (MnDOT District 7 and District 8)
• Highway 15 in Hutchinson – Reconstructed downtown Main Street from 2nd Avenue North to 5th Avenue South, improved lighting and pedestrian accessibility, updated city utilities, resurfaced Highway 15 from 5th Avenue South to County Road 115.
• Highway 12 in Litchfield – Reconstructed Highway 12 in downtown Litchfield, improved lighting and pedestrian accessibility, updated city utilities. Project completed seven weeks early.
• Highway 23, Cottonwood to Granite Falls – Resurfaced 18 miles with concrete from Cottonwood to Granite Falls, realigned Lyon County Road 9 intersection in Cottonwood and constructed several left-turn lanes.
• Highway 12/Highway 40 (Willmar Wye) – Realigned Highway 12 and continued to reconstruct Highway 40 on the west side of Willmar, constructed two roundabouts, building two bridges. Roadwork ends and rail line construction begins in 2021.
• Highway 111/22, Nicollet to Gaylord – Resurfaced 19 miles, added lighting at six intersections and new snow fence for improved safety.
• Highway 71, Jackson to Highway 30 – Resurfaced 30 miles, replaced bridge near Jackson and updated culverts.
• Highway 30, Highway 22 to New Richland – Resurfaced 21 miles, replaced bridges two bridges, improved culverts and added lighting at rural intersections.
• Highway 91 from Adrian to Nobles/Murray county line – Resurfaced road, replaced culverts, added intersection lighting and updated sidewalks in Adrian; year two of two-year project.
• Highway 19 in New Prague – Reconstructed Main Street in downtown New Prague, year one of two-year project.
For a complete list of current MnDOT construction projects and their status, see http://www.mndot.gov/roadwork.
For real-time travel information, visit 511mn.org or download the 511MN app.