FOODS BUSINESS DEVELOPER - 4-DIRECTIONS DEVELOPMENT
October 12, 2020
FOODS BUSINESS DEVELOPER
OPEN: OCTOBER 12, 2020-UNTIL FILLED
The Foods Business Developer is responsible for coordinating activities to meet our agriculture development goal to develop local organic farmers and ranchers with our training garden, farmer training curriculum, farm incubator, healthy food promotion and market development. Reports to 4DD Executive Director, full-time position w/benefits, salary; DOQ.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITES AND DUTIES:
• Assist with the creation of a local foods economy that leverages existing land, human and traditional resources to encourage community members to engage in commercial food ownership and production.
• Assist with development of agricultural activities to increase availability of quality local grown food providers.
• Be part of our training efforts to establish 4 new food producers per year.
• Assist efforts to revitalize our traditional knowledge and skills in gathering and preparing traditional foods.
• Participate with the development and implementation of the foods initiative into a foods cooperative.
• Work with the entrepreneur program and other training sources to reach specified goals for agriculture, marketing, personal finance, and business training for successful development of local food producers.
• Assist with consumer and target market assessments to determine what educational pieces are needed to increase consumption, build sustainable consumer base, and gain interest to engage in agriculture activities. Work with appropriate food/health programs to develop and implement a reservation wide "good food" marketing campaign and incentives.
• Help recruit community members to participate with training being provided. Collaborate with community health programs to deliver educational and training opportunities, and help incorporate health and nutrition education into community and department meetings.
• Recruit and train farmers market management to provide consistent support and patronage of the community.
• Assist with capacity and market development efforts to meet consumer demand, and establish appropriate workforce development in agriculture practices and management.
• Assist with obtaining community member participation and volunteers; by helping develop marketing invites and incentives to participate with trainings, farmer's markets, and establishing a consumer demand to help determine what food producers plant.
• Assist team with establishing accessible, affordable and sustainable direct-to-consumer markets, and local market development.
• Assist Executive Director with staff supervision and project measures and reporting.
• Assist with telling the story by utilizing social media, the web, and the Red Lake News to promote the model of grow healthy, cook healthy, eat healthy; showcasing food options, businesses, health successes, production and consumption updates, program updates, and continuous invites for others to get involved.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Two or more years' agriculture education and experience a must.
• Ability to teach agriculture to others, with knowledge of agriculture resources.
• Ability to think creatively, and have budget knowledge and excellent organizational skills.
• Good communication and reporting skills, with diplomacy and dispute resolution skills.
• Staff supervision and marketing skills would be a plus.
• Time management and computer skills, with demonstrated work ethics.
• Native American Preference.
• Employment contingent upon successfully passing Pre-Employment Drug/Alcohol Test and Background Check
TO APPLY: Applications are being accepted at the Government Center – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 Phone (218) 679-1847.