DIRECTOR - ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT/PLANNING
October 12, 2020
Open: October 12, 2020
Closing: Open Until Filled
This full time position is responsible for working closing with the Economic Development staff in promoting business and economic development interests for the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians. The position will include working with all noted departments in providing guidance to individuals and companies to establish, relocate, or expand their businesses. This position will include assistance in the planning and coordination of community development projects, assisting businesses and providing research for sponsored projects. Reports to the Executive Director, full-time position w/benefits, salary; DOQ.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Develops, manages and implements the economic development strategy for the Red Lake Band, to include the Red Lake Bands short and long range planning and general plan development, manages continuing efforts in community development strategies, including fostering external partnerships to further the Bands economic development goals.
• Develops community-planning strategies with the Tribal Council, Program Directors, and staff, Business managers and the reservation wide communities to address reservation social, education and economic goals.
• Ensures that all planning and development work products are of high quality and within the goals and objectives of the Red Lake Nations development needs.
• Considerable knowledge of business development, community and economic development
• Conducts periodic economic impact analysis to support Red Lake Band economic development and planning activities and actions.
• Plans, organizes, and performs activities to enhance economic development for the Red Lake Band.
• Exercises oversight authority and broad discretionary judgement to manage all facets of economic development, planning, permitting, and inspection of construction and infrastructure.
• Gathering of information and preparation of studies, reports, and recommendations to achieve such goals.
• Maintains a liaison with various local, State and Federal agencies, coordinating projects with agencies as deemed necessary and appropriate.
• Directs the development and administration of budgets, policies, projects, and programs of the department, ensuring compliance to local, state and federal regulations.
• Provides information and/or make presentations to supervisors, boards, commission, businesses, individuals and the general public on economic development issues.
• Prepares grant proposals and applications, contracts and other necessary documents as may be required.
• Collects, maintains, and produces reports of key demographics and economic data to be used for retention, expansion, recruitment, and promotion functions, including developing and maintaining resources that promote retail and industrial opportunities.
• Stays informed of new trends and innovations in the fields of economic development, redevelopment, and community development while maintaining professional knowledge.
• Familiar with Land Use Planning.
• A Bachelor's Degree in Economic Development, Business Administration, Planning, Public Administration or related field. Master's Degree is preferred.
• In addition, seven to ten years of progressively responsible experience in the strategic leadership and management of economic development, planning, or related work. Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience.
• Must possess excellent communication, writing, and interpersonal skills and have the ability to plan, organize and manage assignments and projects to assure achievement of goals and objectives.
• Ability to prepare and analyze reports and data, and have the skill in the operation of necessary tools and equipment i.e. Computer, spreadsheet software, general office equipment.
• Knowledge of federal and state financial resources for Indian Enterprises.
• Ability to prepare and maintain administrative files on projects and technical reports of progress.
• Regular and reliable attendance, works more than forty hours in a workweek without additional compensation to perform assigned duties, including weekends, evenings, early morning hours and holidays are required.
• Employment contingent upon successfully passing Pre-Employment Drug/Alcohol Test and Background Check
TO APPLY: Applications and copies of certificates/diplomas are being accepted at the Government Center – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 Phone (218) 679-1847.