Restorative Practices Specialist – 2 1.0 FTE positions available - Red Lake School District, ISD #38
August 10, 2020
Red Lake School District, ISD #38
P.O. Box 499, Red Lake, MN 56671
218-679-3353 ext. 1001
Posted: 08/07/2020; Until Filled
Red Lake School District #38 is accepting applications for a Student Engagement & Enrichment Specialist:
JOB TITLE: Restorative Practices Specialist – 2 1.0 FTE positions available
BUILDING: District Wide
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
JOB PURPOSE: Within the district's trauma responsive, tiered framework of supports, the Restorative Practices Specialist shall be responsible for implementing restorative practices and strategies with students and staff in order to improve behavioral and academic outcomes.
The Restorative Practices Specialist shall:
1. Hold a valid Minnesota teaching license –or- Demonstrate Education, Work History and/or Expertise in the essential functions of the position. A Bachelor's degree in education or a related field is preferred but not required. Preference given to candidates who hold or who are willing to work toward a behaviorally-focused license (Emotional/Behavioral Disorders, School Counselor, etc.) and to those with coursework or experience specific to implementing restorative practices with PK-12 students. The work of candidates who do not hold a valid Minnesota teaching license will be overseen by a licensed teacher or administrator or will not include duties that require a license.
2. Have previous successful experience working with or teaching within programs including: restorative justice / restorative practices and strategies, and/or alternatives to suspension.
3. Demonstrate skills and knowledge in restorative practices and the philosophy of restorative justice, including principles, models, and techniques that can be successfully used with Native American youth.
4. Demonstrate a strong moral character and impeccable work ethic.
5. Have experience with or excitement for working with Native American children and youth.
JOB DUTIES AND REPONSIBILITES
1. Design and implement restorative practices/interventions with a target population of students within the Red Lake School District per the building or district tiered framework of supports.
2. Develop specialized interventions and strategies as needed in support of the target population.
3. Design, develop, and implement training, coaching, and technical assistance activities to support a whole-school approach to a restorative school climate.
4. Develop and maintain positive relationships with students, parents, and key personnel within the assigned school or target population.
5. Serve as Circle Keeper within an assigned school or with a target population.
6. Produce resources to support building/district goals and activities.
7. Collect, analyze and interpret data to support building/district goals and activities.
8. Demonstrate effective oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
9. Work as an effective member of professional learning teams, grade level teams, and participate as a contributing member on site committees.
10. Engage in data driven decision making.
SKILLS AND ABILITES
1. Ability to engage with and effectively serve Native American youth.
2. Ability to motivate, train, and coach peers and community members to implement restorative approaches and practices.
3. Ability to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with a variety of diverse students, parents, colleagues, and community members/groups.
4. Utilize proper English grammar, punctuation, spelling, and speaking skills.
5. Knowledge of district policies, rules, and regulations.
6. Work with students, district personnel, and general public in a pleasant and cooperative manner.
7. Understand and follow complex oral and written instruction and completes assignments in an independent manner.
8. Analyze situations and take appropriate action regarding routine/emergency procedural matters without immediate supervision.
9. Plan, organize, and coordinate assigned tasks to meet established timelines.
10. Maintain professional confidentiality and work collaboratively with peers.
11. Possess knowledge of technology to present lessons, communicate with others, and keep records.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
1. Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
2. Sit, stand, and walk for required periods of time.
3. Speak and hear.
4. Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
5. Communicate effectively orally and in writing using proper grammar and vocabulary.
6. Reach with hands and arms, use hands and fingers to handle objects to operate tools, computers, and controls as required.
VERIFICATION OF COMPETENCY & APPLICATION PROCESS
To apply, send: 1) completed District application, 2) cover letter and resume, 3) three letters of reference from educational professionals, and 4) documentation of licensure credentials, statement of ability to meet licensure requirements, or statement of how work experience, education, and expertise combine to demonstrate qualification for this position to:
Red Lake School District #38
PO Box 499
Red Lake, MN 56671
Or, fax to (218) 679-2321 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Red Lake Schools #38
(218) 679-5102 Office
(218) 679-2321 Fax