LEGAL ADVOCATE - EQUAY WIIGAMIG (WOMEN SHELTER)
July 20, 2020
EQUAY WIIGAMIG (WOMEN SHELTER)
Open: July 17, 2020
Closing: July 31, 2020 @12:00 p.m.
The Legal Advocate provides direct services to victims of domestic violence, including providing support, information, advocacy, and court accompaniment to victims of domestic violence including assistance with restraining orders, civil, criminal, and other court matters, and legal referrals. Reports to Tribal Courts Administrator, full-time position with benefits, salary; DOQ.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Provide Crisis Intervention on behalf of sexual assault and domestic violence victims.
• Provide individual and supportive advocacy on behalf of victims.
• Assist victims in completion of Order's for Protection, etc. with follow-up.
• Must provide transportation for all victims during scheduled meetings with Counsel, Prosecution, Lay Advocates, etc. pre and post court hearings.
• Provide safety planning and resource referrals for all clients.
• Transport and accompany victim to all Court Hearings.
• Work closely with Prosecution, Law Enforcement, Clerk of Courts and other agencies deemed necessary on behalf of victims.
• Provide up-date to client regarding Court Hearings, Processing, etc. so that the victim understands what to expect during the entire court process.
• Provide on-call coverage on a monthly rotation basis.
• Participate in the monthly Multi-Disciplinary Team Meetings.
• Maintain accurate client files and provide statistical data collections quarterly.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Two (2) or Four (4) year college/university degree.
• Must be knowledgeable in the area of Tribal, State, Federal Laws addressing Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence.
• Must have the ability to work collaboratively with other agencies on behalf of victims.
• Must be self-directed with the ability to work independently on behalf of clientele.
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to provide services in a team-work approach for effective systems change.
• Must adhere to the Data Privacy Act (confidentiality).
• Must have a valid Minnesota Driver's license and auto insurance.
• Employment contingent upon successfully passing Pre-Employment Drug/Alcohol Test and Background Check
TO APPLY: Applications and copies of certificates/diplomas are being accepted at the Government Center – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 Phone (218) 679-1847.