Judges Law Clerk / Appellate Clerk - RED LAKE NATION TRIBAL COURTS
May 11, 2020
Judges Law Clerk / Appellate Clerk
RED LAKE NATION TRIBAL COURTS
Open: May 7, 2020-Until filled
Responsible for providing administrative support for Judicial Staff by drafting proposed court orders, corresponding, assembling and organizing quarterly appellate court terms, assembling case materials; providing information and explaining processes to filers petitioning the court; writing reports and legal memoranda. Reports to Chief Judge and Associate Judges, full-time position, benefits, salary; DOQ.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Prepares legal drafts of proposed court orders, assembling and organizing files for judges and assisting those filing with process information for filing of various civil petitions
• Assemble, organize and maintain appellate court files, serve as clerk of appellate hearings
• Assembles case materials by collecting, organizing and summarizing information, documents, reports, and evidence
• Assist in the quality improvement of the court by helping with Tribal Code, reviewing Federal Laws and court opinions including precedents and reasoning, and trends using standard print texts and computers; preparing legal memoranda.
• Maintain appellate court calendar by entering and updating scheduled hearings, communication and correspondence with the appellate panel and organizing the quarterly term and any special term of the appellate court, ensure notice and availability of parties to appellate hearings, serve as the clerk of appellate court and maintain the appellate files
• Keeps up to date on revisions to current Tribal Code and Federal Laws as it pertains to Indian Country.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Preferred higher education and/ or legal experience, writing skills
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
• Excellent communication skills; verbal and written.
• Able to handle stressful situations in a professional manner.
• Adhere to and have knowledge of the Data Privacy Act.
• Must be of high moral character to uphold the integrity of the Court.
• Computer knowledgeable using various software and other office machines used in the Courtroom
• Knowledgeable in the Tribal Coded and ordinances.
• Employment contingent upon successfully passing Pre-Employment Drug/Alcohol Test and Background Check.
TO APPLY: Applications and copies of certificates/diplomas are being accepted at the Government Center – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 Phone (218) 679-1847.