Red Lake Nation News - Babaamaajimowinan (Telling of news in different places)

Native News Online Staff 

U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao Announces $300 Million for Federal Lands & Tribal Projects

Roads on Indian reservations are dire need of repair


October 5, 2018

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) today published a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) in the Federal Register making $300 million available through its Nationally Significant Federal Lands and Tribal Projects (NSFLTP) Program. Funding under this program is available for the first time to build and repair roads and bridges that serve tribal or federal lands.

“This program will help underserved tribal areas fund large-scale infrastructure projects that will improve safety and mobility for their communities,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.

The “Fixing America’s Surface Transportation” (FAST) Act established the NSFLTP Program to provide federal financial assistance for the construction, reconstruction or rehabilitation of transportation projects providing access to or located on federal or tribal lands.

Under the NSFLTP, the federal share of a project can be up to 90 percent and can be used to improve the condition of a critical transportation facility. Large-scale projects with estimated construction costs of $50 million or more are given priority consideration for selection, but the program will accept projects with estimated construction costs of at least $25 million.

“The program prioritizes highways and bridges that access our national treasures and improve the quality of life throughout Indian country,” said Deputy Federal Highway Administrator Brandye L. Hendrickson. “The funds will go a long way in making sure that needed improvements to infrastructure serving federal and tribal lands are addressed.”

Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. Federal lands management agencies and tribes can apply directly for grants under the program. States and local agencies may also apply, but only if sponsored by a federal land management agency or tribe. The NOFO can be seen at


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018