Red Lake Retail General Manager
Ogaakaaning Enterprises seeks a Retail General Manager to oversee all aspects of the Grocery Stores in Red Lake and Ponemah, Minnesota and meet operational goals established by the Ogaakaaning Enterprises CEO and Board of Directors.
The General Manager is responsible for overseeing all operations of a full service grocery store that includes a deli, smoke shop and fuel sales in Red Lake, Minnesota and a smaller grocery store with fuel sales in Ponemah, Minnesota. Experience with financial planning and budgeting is essential and interested candidates must have successful and progressive retail grocery management experience. Potential applicant must have a Bachelor's degree in Management or related field and a minimum of three (3) years direct experience preferred. A combination of education and experience will be considered. Experience in strategic planning, marketing and merchandising in a competitive market are all highly desirable. The General Manager will report directly to the Ogaakaaning Enterprises CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Grocery Store General Manager (GM) ensures that the Grocery, Dairy, Frozen Foods, Meat, Produce, Smoke Shop, Deli, Fuels and other departments are well managed, resulting in a positive shopping experience for all customers. The GM is very involved with the department managers and employees, and assists in hiring, coaching, and training employees, as well as conducting meetings and scheduling. This position is essential in ensuring that products are handled properly, rotated to ensure freshness, and that date controls are performed. The GM is also responsible for ordering, vendor communications, compliance, clean-up and sanitation, back room inventory and controls, and management of workplace, employee and customer safety, as well as reporting, financial control, and budget responsibilities.
Work hours include nights, weekends and holidays. Flexibility in store assignment is also required. Handling large sums of cash and closing the store each night in compliance with company standards is required.
• Directs and manages all functions and activities of the Grocery, Dairy, Frozen Foods, Meat, Produce, Smoke Shop, Deli, and Fuels to achieve sales and profit standards.
• Directs team to deliver outstanding customer service,
• Greets customers and maintains good customer relations.
• Looks for areas where improvements in service may be required; implements processes, procedures and/or changes to address these issues.
• Overall responsibility in meeting sales, stock loss, labor objectives, and margin goals.
• Helps control costs by constantly monitoring and improving operations to increase profitability.
• Helps to manage labor costs and reduce losses due to shrink, damage and pilferage.
• Monitors temperature of cases, shelves and storage areas and corrects any failures immediately.
• Controls inventory to recommended stock levels, to maximize sales and to minimize stock loss.
• Manages and maintains acceptable inventory levels by tracking weekly sales reports; prepares and maintains records of inventories to calculate gross monthly profits consistent with Company guidelines.
• Orders product and supplies to meet customer requests and the Company's gross profit goals.
• Maintains a clean and safe environment – both inside and out.
• Ensures proper rotation and organization of product and removing out-of-code items.
• Ensures placement of only saleable merchandise on the grocery shelves, paying particular attention to code dates.
• Promptly handles resets according to schedule, including deleted and new merchandise.
• Ensures weekly sale items are ordered, stocked, and available for our customers.
• Monitors all vendors and deliveries to ensure proper adherence to store standards.
• Verifies all deliveries against invoices, notes shortages and overages and reports them to the appropriate supplier.
• Enforces and follows department practices regarding the receiving and stocking of product to ensure freshness and quality.
• Participates in store merchandising (i.e. building displays, stocking, holiday and seasonal merchandising) in order to meet the profit objectives of the store and departments.
• Ensures that all federal, tribal, and company regulations and standards for product freshness, food safety, weights and measures, store safety, employee safety, refrigeration, and sanitation are met.
• Schedules assigned employees and determines work assignments that most effectively utilize their skills and abilities.
• Manages department staff to include: interviewing, hiring, training and development, performance appraisals, scheduling, counseling and terminating.
• Oversees and assists in preparation of store for physical inventory counts.
• Performs duties of staff as required.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Minimum of three years managerial or supervisory experience which includes responsibility for managing a multi-department operation within the grocery retail or related industry.
• Bachelor's degree in business, management, marketing, retailing, communications, advertising, or related fields preferred.
• Or an acceptable combination of experience and education will be considered.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential.
• Strong orientation to detail and analytical skills.
• Solid problem solving skills and decisiveness.
• Ability to work flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
• Proven leadership ability to build, motivate and maintain staff.
• Forklift/power jack training and experience.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to handle stressful situations.
• Organization and planning skills.
• Able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
• Ability to delegate effectively.
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office Software including Outlook, Word, and Excel and POS and Inventory Management programs specific to grocery/retail industry
• While performing the duties of this job, the GM is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; and extreme cold
• Fast paced working environment
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
• Lift moderately heavy loads up to 75 lbs.
• Ability to bend, reach, kneel, squat, and stand for long periods of time
• Able to push/pull heavy loads
• Pre-employment drug screen required
For Additional Information, please contact:
• Interim Chief Executive Officer, Harvey Roy III at (218) 679-2841
To apply: For application, please send resume with three references to Harvey Roy III at email@example.com or mail to Ogaakaaning Enterprises, PO Box 592, Red Lake, MN 56671