Blowing snow, icy roads make hazardous driving conditions in northwestern Minnesota
No travel advisory posted for Polk County
BEMIDJI, Minn. – (9:00 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation advises no unnecessary travel in Polk County due to heavy blowing snow, icy conditions and reduced visibility.
The no travel advisory includes Highway 2 from Bagley to East Grand Forks.
The North Dakota Department of Transportation has also posted no travel advisories across most of the state.
MnDOT snowplow operators are doing their part to make highways safe. Motorists should remember to:
· Turn on your headlights, don't rely on automatic lights.
· Drive slowly on bridges, overpasses and tunnels.
· Use a safe speed for winter driving conditions, regardless of the posted speed limit.
· Keep a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front of them.
· Keep both hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road, and stay alert.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to http://www.mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html.
For updated road condition information, call 511 or visit http://www.511mn.org.