Candidate Fair To Be Held at Red Lake Nation College
The Red Lake Political Education Committee (RLPEC), a tribal non-profit, and non-partisan organization, will be hosting a Candidate Fair on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. The Fair will be held at the Red Lake Nation College, located twenty minutes north of Bemidji on Highway #89.
All candidates for local and statewide office, Senate District 2 and 2A, Beltrami County Commissioner District 4, and Red Lake School Board, District 38 who would represent the Red Lake Indian Reservation have confirmed. Red Lake Nation (Reservation) alone has over 2900 registered voters.
Candidates who have confirmed attendance (as of this writing) include: Tim Sumner and Vince Gross for Beltrami County Commissioner; Rod Skoe and Paul Utke for State Senator District 2, Jerry Loud and Matthew Grossell for State Representative District 2a; and Candidates for Red Lake School Board Michael Barrett, Kathryn "Jody" Beaulieu, Doug Desjarlait, Jean Donnell, Chris Jourdain, and Rhonda Lussier.
The event is informal and begins at 5 p.m. A light supper at no cost or free-will donation will be provided for attendees.
"We hope to draw both Indian and non-Indian participants from all of Beltrami County", said RLPEC Co-Chair Michelle Paquin. "We expect local and tribal elected officials, political activists, and interested voters seeking information about candidates prior to the Minnesota general election on November 8, 2016. We expect this to be very informal and fun.
The Red Lake Tribal Council, Red Lake Nation College, the Red Lake Political Education Committee, and the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians sponsor the Candidate Fair. Miigwech to several off-reservation parties who donated over $6,000 in support of RLPEC's efforts.
RL PEC Mission Statement: The Red Lake Political Education Committee (RLPEC) was formed in 1996 to educate and register Red Lake voters. We take pride in being the oldest, most active, and effective Political Education Committee in Minnesota's Indian Country.
The purpose of this corporation (RLPEC) is:
• To support and conduct nonpartisan research, education, and informational activities to increase public awareness about their right to vote and participate in elections.
• To increase voter participation in tribal, state, and federal elections within the membership of the Red Lake band of Chippewa Indians and;
• To increase voters knowledge of political and social issues.
Celebrating 20 Years
Red Lake Candidate Fair
Sponsored by Red Lake Political Education Committee (PEC)
5 p.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesday September 28, 2016
Red Lake Nation College
Rough Agenda (Times are approximate, we may shorten or lengthen a session depending) Questions will be submitted in writing from the audience. Questions will be screened.
• 4:45 to 5:00 - Mixer, (Chile & Fry Bread? – Free Will Donation)
• 5:00 to 6:10 – Red Lake School Board (1 min open and close) (Q & A, 1 to 1.5 min.)
• 6:15 to 6:55 - County Commissioner Tim Sumner and Vince Gross (2 min open and close) (Q & A, 1.5 to 2 min.)
• 7:00 to 8:00 - Senate District 2, Rod Skoe and Paul Utke, & Senate District 2A, Jerry Loud and Matthew J. Grossell (four candidates) (2 min open and close) (Q & A, 1.5 min.)
8 to 8:15 - Close (Thank-you's and mixer)