IMMERSION OJIBWEMOWIN HEAD START TEACHER ASSISTANT - RED LAKE HEAD START
IMMERSION OJIBWEMOWIN HEAD START TEACHER ASSISTANT
RED LAKE HEAD START
OPEN: August 29, 2016
CLOSING: September 9, 2016 @ 3:00 p.m.
The main focus is to assist the development and implementation of Ojibwemowin learning activities to develop intergenerational teachings for families and head start age children. Reports to: Red Lake Head Start and Ojibwemowin Immersion Program, full-time position w/benefits, salary; DOQ.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• Assist and create, maintain, and review an age appropriate course of study to ensure students achieve benchmarks and meet curriculum standards.
• Ability to work closely and effectively with young children, families and elders.
• Assist the teaching and speaking only Ojibwe to maintain a full immersion setting in the classroom.
• Assist and maintain general control of classroom students during the course of the school day, with a fair and compassionate classroom disciplinary plan in accordance with school policy.
• Able to apply common sense understanding of detailed written or oral instructions.
• Have ability to organize and maintain records relating to curriculum development, and the Ojibwemowin Project.
• Encourage and support new ideas and approaches to learning the Ojibwe language literacy in oral/written form.
• Assist the project team (Masters, Apprentices, and Project Coordinator) with implementation of evaluation tools for this project during the project term.
• Willing to work with a Master Ojibwemowin Speaker on Ojibwemowin learning activities for the purpose of increasing Ojibwemowin knowledge and retention.
• Ability to work in small groups or one-on-one for Ojibwemowin learning activities.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must successfully pass pre-employment drug testing and State/Federal background checks.
• Possess valid MN driver's license and current auto insurance.
• Knowledge and experience in second language acquisition, and in Early Childhood Education.
• Possess mastery of the Ojibwe Language, including, writing, speaking, listening, and translating.
• Childhood Development Associate Credential and at least 3 years of experience teaching Head Start age children is preferred.
• Knowledge and/or experience in immersion instructional methodology preferred.
• American Indian Preference.
TO APPLY: Applications and copies of certificates are accepted at Government Center – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 - (218) 679-1847.