Teenage girl identified as victim of heroin overdose, Quinhagak officials search for a solution
QUINHAGAK, Alaska Alaska State Troopers say a teenage girl died after three people in Quinhagak apparently overdosed on heroin this week, as village residents try to figure out how to deal with the public health crisis.
Jamie Roberts, 19, was pronounced dead after more than two hours of resuscitative efforts by health aides on Monday, according to troopers. Earlier in the day, two adult men also overdosed and were medivaced to Bethel. They recovered and have since been released from the hospital.
“Any death is always a shock but to have a drug-related death like what just recently happened, it just puts a shock to the community members,” says Patrick Cleveland, Quinhagak’s tribal administrator. “Right now we're trying to find or talk about solutions of how to deal with this problem.”