POLICE OFFICER - RED LAKE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
Open: July 28, 2016
Closing: August 19, 2016 @ 3:00 p.m.
Performs responsible police work involving the protection and safety of the community through prevention and control of crime, preserving peace, regulating traffic, and providing emergency services; and performs related duties as required. Reports to Public Safety Director, full-time position w/benefits, salary; DOQ.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintains and demonstrates technical competence and/or expertise in areas of assigned responsibilities.
• Responsible for the concepts and standards of police operations, evidence and crime scenes.
• Must have the ability to relate to people in a manner that allows for cooperation and coordination in the performance of their duties as well as make decisions on information gathered from individuals.
• Responsible for organizing and recording relevant information.
• Enforce Tribal and Federal laws on the Red Lake Reservation.
• Respond to all calls as directed by the dispatcher where serious crimes or accidents occur.
• Determines necessary actions by notifying appropriate authorities, safeguard scenes, preserve evidence; identify and obtain information from witnesses and develop preliminary investigation leads.
• Assist other Police Officers in enforcing all laws and regulations related to possession, use, distribution, trafficking and manufacturing of controlled substances.
• Assists with traffic control at accident scenes and celebrations.
• Serve Tribal and Federal Warrants.
• Assist in serving court process; appear and testify in Tribal or Federal Court as needed.
• Knowledge and skill in professional techniques in dealing with individuals in criminal matters and with the public in crisis and/or hostile situations.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Must have basic knowledge of general office equipment and computers.
• Expected to comply with training requirements.
• Excellent verbal, organization and written communication skills.
• Ability to handle stressful situations in professional manner.
• Ability to communicate with the public in a professionally courteous manner at all times. Ability to work independently and follow directions.
• Must have good work attendance, ethics and dependable.
• Valid Driver's License and clean driving record.
• Comply with drug testing in accordance with the Red Lake Band's Personnel Policy and Background Check.
• Adhere to and have knowledge of the Data Privacy Act.
• Must be of high moral character to uphold the integrity of the court.
• Knowledge of the Red Lake Tribal Code and ordinance.
• Knowledge of Victims' rights and protections with emphasis on new code provisions regarding Elder Abuse and Abuse against Vulnerable Adults.
• Ability to work cooperatively with the Victim Advocate, other Law Enforcement Officers and personnel to ensure that services to victims are made available to them in a timely and respectful manner.
• Must be familiar with Tribal, Federal and State Laws.
• No felony convictions in lifetime and certifiable to carry firearms.
TO APPLY: Applications, Supplementary Questionnaire, and copies of certificates/diplomas accepted at Government Center – Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 – Phone: (218) 679-1847.