MDA announces Request for Proposals for Farm to School grants
ST. PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) has announced a Request for Proposals for the 2017 AGRI Farm to School Grant Program. The MDA anticipates awarding up to $500,000 in competitive grants to increase sales of locally grown and raised foods to K-12 institutions and child care providers.
Two categories of grants will be considered:
1. Grants for the purchase of equipment and/or physical improvements that will allow schools to purchase, prepare, and serve more locally grown and raised food. The grant will cover 50% of the total project cost up to a maximum award of $50,000. Recipients must contribute the remaining 50% of the total project cost as a cash contribution.
2. Grants for the cost of creating plans that identify specific equipment, tools, training or policies that a school or district needs in order to purchase more locally grown or raised food. The grant will cover up to 75% of the total project cost up to a maximum award of $30,000. Recipients must contribute the remaining 25% of the total project cost as a cash contribution.
As part of this grant, the Center for Prevention at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota (Blue Cross) is providing up to $125,000 to help schools and child care providers meet the requirement for matching funds.
This funding is part of Blue Cross’ long-term commitment to improve the health of all Minnesotans by tackling the leading root causes of preventable disease: tobacco use, lack of physical activity, and unhealthy eating.
The MDA and Blue Cross are committed to making healthy choices available to all Minnesotans, and past Farm to School grant rounds have offset the costs of equipment and kitchen upgrades for schools statewide. More than half of Minnesota’s student population has participated in the program.
All applications must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on November 2, 2016. The complete Request for Proposal and instructions for submission are located online at http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbXNpZD0mYXVpZD0mbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTYwNjA4LjYwMDIwNzcxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE2MDYwOC42MDAyMDc3MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODMyNDcxJmVtYWlsaWQ9aW5mb0ByZWRsYWtlbmF0aW9ubmV3cy5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWluZm9AcmVkbGFrZW5hdGlvbm5ld3MuY29tJnRhcmdldGlkPSZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.mda.state.mn.us/grants/grants/mnfarmtoschool.aspx. Proposals may be submitted online.
Applicants who are interested in utilizing Blue Cross contributions as part of their proposal should contact Ashley Bress at 651-201-6500 for instructions.