TELECOMMUNICATION OPERATOR (Dispatcher) - PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT
TELECOMMUNICATION OPERATOR (Dispatcher)
PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT
Open: December 21, 2015
Closing: January 4, 2016 @ 3:00 p.m.
Receives and prioritizes E911 and non-emergency telephone calls from the public. Dispatches appropriate emergency service agencies such as police, fire and emergency medical units. Retrieves and enters computer data for emergency response personnel within the service area. Reports to Lead Telecommunication Operator (Dispatcher) and/or Public Safety Executive Director, full-time position with benefits, salary; DOQ.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Receive, screen and priorities emergency (E911) and non-emergency telephone calls for service from the public requiring law enforcement, emergency medical service (EMS), or fire department attention and relay to officers or command personnel, as appropriate.
• Operate a multi-frequency radio and computer-aided dispatch system, accesses teletype, monitors alarms systems, operates playback tape recorders, operates TDD/TTY, operates security devices and other related communication equipment located throughout the Center.
• Must condense large amounts of information into readable, sensibly typed remarks in a timely manner and have the ability to recall numerous acronyms and codes essential to appropriate call processing.
• Evaluates information received and utilizes protocols provided through the computer-aided dispatch system to determine appropriate action or actions to be taken.
• Works rotating shift work during evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays and must be available to work extended shifts and be subject to emergency callout(s).
• Must be able to work effectively in a disciplined environment with close supervision and carry out lawful orders according to policies regardless of personal agreement.
• Must continually demonstrate a high level of mental stability and professionalism.
• Enters information into the computer at a minimum rate of 30-35 words per minute.
• Deals with sensitive information in a discreet and professional manner by maintaining confidentiality.
• Maintains a positive customer service attitude at all times with public, user agency members, co-workers and supervisors.
• Dispatches police, fire, ambulance or other emergency equipment as needed in accordance with operational policies and procedures to the location of the call for assistance.
• Make rapid, accurate decisions which affect the outcome of other public safety services.
• Perform additional duties as directed.
• Must be a GED/High School graduate.
• Knowledge and experience of basic computer software.
• Familiar with Tribal, Federal, and State Laws.
• Knowledge of the geography of the Red Lake Indian Reservation Boundaries served including the location of streets, important structures and landmarks.
• Employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug test and background check.
TO APPLY: Applications and Supplementary Questionnaire and copies of certificates/diplomas are being accepted at the Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 Phone (218) 679-1847.