Human Resources Director - RED LAKE NATION COLLEGE
RED LAKE NATION COLLEGE
POSITION TITLE: Human Resources Director– Full-Time
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
REPORTS TO: President
REVISED: November 2015
DEADLINE TO APPLY: December 25, 2015
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: The Human Resources Director guides and manages the overall provision of Human Resources services, policies, and programs for the Red Lake Nation College (RLNC). The primary functions include recruiting staff and faculty members, conducting new employee orientation, providing training to employees, developing and revising personnel policies and procedures and managing conflicts in the workplace.
ACCOUNTABILTY: The Human Resources Director reports to the President but works very closely with the entire RLNC Administrative Team and all students, faculty and staff.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Essential responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Recruits and hires for all employment vacancies, including posting jobs, pre-screening resumes, scheduling interviews, developing interview questions, handling of all paperwork, conducting reference and background checks, and extending offers; handles the internal hiring process for student workers under the work study program.
2. Ensuring compliance with state and federal employment regulations.
3. Developing an employee orientation process and conducting this process with all new employees.
4. Improving and delivering required annual trainings, including FERPA, Clery Act, VAWA, and Sexual Harassment Prevention trainings, among others.
5. Providing orientation to new faculty members by training them on how to use the online portal, how to manage attendance, how to enter and submit grades and how to create a discussion board.
6. Developing and revising personnel policies and procedures.
7. Working with the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians to administer compensation and benefits.
8. Ensures personnel files include all necessary documentation.
9. Ensures all performance evaluations are completed in a timely manner.
10. Submits all payroll changes to the payroll department.
11. Completes the annual Human Resources Work Plan.
12. Tracks Human Resources data and provides valuable information for assessment purposes.
13. Manages FMLA and other leave requests in addition to vacation, sick leave, workers' compensation and unemployment claims.
14. Addresses and investigates employee concerns such as harassment and discrimination claims, and recommends courses of action to resolve such issues; aids in similar investigations with students as requested.
15. Assists in the resolution of employee performance issues in need of disciplinary action and performance improvement by coaching supervisors through the process of drafting corrective action (performance warnings) language, auditing written performance reviews, and providing training for staff in this area.
16. Handles all aspects of the employee exit processes, including termination proceedings, exit interviews, and necessary documentation.
17. Maintains a high level of confidentiality in dealing with proprietary and sensitive information in employee files containing employment data and health records under lock and key.
18. Composes all faculty contracts prior to the start of each academic term.
19. Prepares and tracks budget for HR Department.
1. Must have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or a Bachelor's degree in another field with a Master's Degree preferred.
2. Must have a minimum of three years of experience in Human Resources management with a preference of at least five years of experience in HR management.
3. Must be able to develop trust and positive relationships with all students, staff and faculty.
4. Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and communication skills are required for this high profile position.
5. Strong organizational skills and follow through required.
6. High degree of professionalism is required.
7. Must be able to multi-task many projects at one time.
8. Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, problem-solve and keep up with the constant flow of communication within Red Lake Nation College
9. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality when dealing with proprietary information and sensitive situations.
10. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook and the use of computers.
11. Knowledge and understanding of Red Lake Tribal culture, history and reservation life challenges will be a major benefit for a successful candidate.
12. This position follows our Red Lake Tribal Member and Indian Preference Policy.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
1. Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
2. Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
3. Possession of a valid MN driver's license.
4. Must sign a confidentiality agreement.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email an employment application and resume to Mandy Schram, VP of Academic Affairs/Human Resources Director, at email@example.com. Employment applications can be found at: http://www.rlnc.education/#!employment-opportunities/lhdom.