Community Meeting Held at Little Rock
Chairman's Meetings Scheduled For All Districts
The third round of Red Lake Nation Chairman's Community Meetings began at 6 PM Thursday, November 12, 2015, at Little Rock Center. About 50 community members joined Chairman Darrell G. Seki, Sr., Secretary Donald Cook, Treasurer Annette Johnson, and Little Rock Tribal Council members Richard Barrett and Charlie Reynolds. Red Lake Representative Robert Smith also attended.
Staff representatives from four tribal programs, Jerry Loud from Oshkii-maajitahdah (New Beginnings), Cheri Goodwin Director of Family and Children's Services, Justin Beaulieu and Harvey Roy of Red Lake, Inc., and Dana Lyons from Public Safety joined members of the tribal council to provide information and get feedback from Little Rock citizens.
• A short report from Red Lake Schools Superintendent Anne Lundquist
• Loud reported on a Class C commercial radio station in the works, 100 KW and should reach Thief River and Bemidji. The call letters have been registered with the FCC as WRLN 105.7 FM.
• Lyons reported on a community watch initiative
• Constitutional Reform may be on the 2016 general election ballot in November
• Seki spoke of a need for self sufficiency and cited New jobs and Economic Development initiatives in solar energy to provide electricity to the band, new fire department buildings at Red Lake and Ponemah along with two trucks, two Chemical Health treatment facilities for women and men, and a golf course
Other discussion items included; elder abuse, Temporary Assistance for needy families (TANF), Tribal Employment Rights Ordinance (TERO), housing, support for St. Mary's, a possibility of manufacturing cigarettes to help diversify the economy, the Enbridge trespass, a new welding training program, protection of waters, and tribal enrollment.
The next Chairman's Community meeting will be held in Red Lake at the Red Lake Nation College on Monday, November 23, 2015, at 6 p.m. Dinner will be served and everyone is welcome.
The remaining district schedule is as follows:
• Red Lake District - Nov. 23 at 6 PM at the Red Lake College
• Redby District - Dec. 2 at 6 PM at the Redby Center
• Ponemah District - Dec. 9 at 6 PM at the Ponemah Boys & Girls Club