HOUSING ADVOCATE - RED LAKE NATION URBAN EMBASSY – MINNEAPOL
RED LAKE NATION URBAN EMBASSY – MINNEAPOLIS
Open: August 21, 2015
Closing: September 11, 2015 @ 3:00 p.m.
A housing advocate is required to help Band members, on both a macro level and individual level obtain housing in the Minneapolis area and Duluth urban areas. An ideal candidate will have outstanding networking and communication skills and be capable of advocacy in several different forums. An ideal candidate will be able to locate and refer Band members with housing issues to the appropriate resources when facing eviction. Full-time position with benefits, salary; DOQ.
• Attending urban area functions in regards to housing.
• Meeting with Band members and hearing their concerns and issues and communicating those issues and concerns to landlords and housing officials.
• Conducting one-on-one visits with Band members and Band member families to help locate and secure housing.
• Networking with other housing professionals and locating resources Band members can use when facing landlord problems.
• Negotiating with landlord to find a resolution to an eviction or other landlord tenant issues.
• Communicating with other very clearly and effectively. Will face tense and difficult situations and will be asked to handle those situations as the need arises.
• Applying housing ordinances and laws to situations to understand what the outcome would be if a housing issue ended up in court.
• Able to travel in the Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Duluth area(s).
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
• Must possess a Bachelor degree in any area of study or at least four years of similar type work.
• Must be proficient with modern technology and computers.
• Must be a self-starter, must work well with others.
• Ability to work cordially and effectively with staff and public.
• Has a clear understanding of state and city housing laws and ordinances and a knowledge of common lease provisions and what is allowable under lease provision and applicable law.
• Must be able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
• Must possess a high degree of personal ethics and ability not to disclose extremely personal issues of our Band members.
• Must have valid Driver's license and proof of insurance.
• Must never been convicted of a felony.
• Employment contingent upon successfully passing Pre-Employment Drug/Alcohol Test and Background Check
• Preference: All applicants are considered without regard to age, sex, race, national origin, religion, marital status, or physical disability. However, preference will be given to qualified band members, to qualified persons of American Indian descent, then to qualified candidates in accordance with P.L. 88-355, Sec. 703 (702-71) and P.L. 93-638, Sec. 7B.
TO APPLY: Applications and copies of diplomas/certificates are being accepted at the Red Lake Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 - Fax (218) 679-4176.
Additional information contact: Jessica Johnson @ (218) 679-1847 or JesJohnson@redlakenation.org .