With the approach of the Independence Day and all the festivities the Beltrami County Sheriff’s Office reminds everyone about the safe and responsible use of fireworks required by Minnesota State Law. Our law only permits the civilian use of Non-Explosive, Non-Aerial Fireworks. Please make an effort to understand the law and make certain your use of fireworks is permitted. Also please make sure you consider your neighbors when using the fireworks and end your displays at a reasonable hour. Remember the following safety tips:
· Use fireworks outdoors only.
· Always have water handy. (A hose or bucket).
· Only use fireworks as intended. Don't try to alter them or combine them.
· Never relight a "dud" firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
· Use common sense. Spectators should keep a safe distance from the shooter and the shooter should wear safety glasses.
· Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a "designated shooter."
· Only persons over the age of 12 should be allowed to handle sparklers of any type.
· Never use homemade fireworks of illegal explosives: They can kill you!
· Report the use of illegal fireworks to the Police Department or Sheriff’s Office.
Sheriff Phil Hodapp, Beltrami County Sheriff’s Office