Maintenance Worker - Red Lake Hospital
Job Title: Maintenance Worker, WG-4749-8 (RL2210)(ESEP/MP)
Department:Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency:Indian Health Service
Job Announcement Number:IHS-12-BJ-677138-ESEP/MP
SALARY RANGE: $23.18 to $27.12 / Per Hour
OPEN PERIOD: Monday, June 04, 2012 to Friday, June 15, 2012
SERIES & GRADE: WG-4749-08
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Permanent
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy(s) - Red Lake, MN United States
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: Excepted Service Examining Plan Candidates (ESEP); Merit Promotion Plan Candidates (MPP); Veteran's Preference Candidates; Commissioned Officers.
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At HHS you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. Join HHS and help make our world healthier, safer and better for all Americans.
The Indian Health Service is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified Indian applicants and employees who are qualified and suitable for Federal employment. The Indian Health Service (IHS) by law is committed to affording employment preference to American Indian and Alaska Native candidates who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. In other than the above, the Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Red Lake IHS Hospital, Facilities Management, Red Lake, MN.
Red Lake, MN United States 1 vacancy
Salary range: $23.18- $27.12 ( Hourly)
Promotion potential: None
Merit Promotion Position: Yes
Travel Required: Yes; Occasional travel is required.
Supervisory/Managerial Position: No
Relocation Expenses Paid: No; Travel and Relocation Expenses "Will Not" be Paid: travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the employee.
Is drug testing required? No
Is government housing available? No
Is this a bargaining unit position? No
Tour of duty (work schedule)? Full-time / Permanent
Who may apply section
Excepted Service Examining Plan Candidates (ESEP)
Merit Promotion Plan Candidates (MPP)
Veteran's Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunity Act Candidates (VEOA)
Commissioned Corps Candidates
- visit firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on Who May Apply
• Must be a US Citizen.
• Position subject to background investigation.
• As part of the pre-employment process, fingerprint checks are required.
• Must possess a VALID Driver's License.
Back to top
Please ensure you answer all questions and follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you losing consideration for the job.
This position is located at the Red Lake Service Unit in the Facilities Management Department, Maintenance Section, IHS Indian Hospital, Red Lake, Minnesota. The purpose of this position is to provide, maintenance, preventive maintenance, and craft skills in the Maintenance Section of Facilities Management. The position is involved in operation, maintenance, and repair for a 19-bed hospital with outpatient clinic, a satellite clinic and the related buildings and grounds.
• The Maintenance Worker must be proficient in the use of such a control system to trouble shoot problems in the HVAC system, make adjustments, not irregularities, respond to alarms and generally operate the building.
• Coordinates with the Secretary and Maintenance Supervisor to provide documentation of all Preventive Maintenance visits by contractors and efforts by in-house staff in the computerized maintenance management system (CMMS). Develops initial PM files and posts the required information to the CMMS and/or in format for CMMS input.
• Maintains heating equipment which may involve removing and replacing parts and components of hot water and steam boilers, re-packing valves in pumps, repairing and replacing boiler piping, repair of boiler return pumps, safety valves and pneumatic controls.
• Maintains and repairs ventilation equipment such as air handling units and exhaust fans, which may include lubricating and replacing fan bearings, checking and replacing drive belts, repairing or replacing control valves, cleaning heating and cooling coils and replacing or cleaning air filters.
• Maintains and repairs air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, consisting of commercial and domestic refrigerators, water coolers, drinking fountains and air conditioning systems.
• Removes, replaces, tightens, solders, and insulates defective wiring, controls, equipment, and fixtures such as broken and bare wiring, burnt out switches and relays, loose connections and fittings, damaged light fixtures, etc.
• Removes, cleans, replaces, packs and seals defective parts of utility, water supply and disposal systems such as dirty traps, sections of broken pipe and leaky drains, etc.
• Makes repairs to building not involving extensive alterations or changes to the original framing of the structure.
• Removes old or chipped paint, enamel, lacquer, varnish, wax, rust or dirt from surfaces by sanding, scraping and /or use of removal solvents.
• Mows lawns using hand and/or self propelled lawn mowers and shovels snow from steps, sidewalks, driveways and parking lots.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Back to top
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Candidate MUST meet qualification standards as specified in OPM Operating Manual (Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions) and/or the Excepted Service Qualification Standard.
EXCEPTED SERVICE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Same as below.
NOTE: Your education may be used to substitute specific work requirements / experience. Your education and work experience MAY be combined to meet the qualification requirements of this position. IF selected and you are qualified based on education you MUST provide an official transcript. (SEE QUALIFICATIONS)
You must meet the requirements of the job by this date: Friday, June 15, 2012
As per the IHS Excepted Service Hiring Plan: Current employees and eligible applicants are considered under merit promotion only, unless they provide an appropriate Standard Form (SF)-50, "Notification of Personnel Action," and indicate under which plan they are applying. Please indicate on your resume and during the online assessment process which hiring plan you want to be considered under: Merit Promotion and/or the IHS Excepted Service Hiring Plan. See email@example.com for more details.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The HHS Careers system simplifies the Federal application process by replacing the former KSA job-element statements with on-line self-assessment questions. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications requirements will be invited to complete an on-line questionnaire assessing the following:
• Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation and Repair.
• Technical Practices including use of measuring instruments.
• Ability to Interpret Instructions.
• Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment.
• Knowledge of Materials.
If found qualified, your score will range from 70-100 points (not including points that may be assigned for Veterans' Preference). We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. You will be deemed well qualified if you score 85 and above.
For I/CTAP purposes, you will be deemed well-qualified if you are placed in at least the well-qualified category.
Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://my.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits .
If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, you must submit a copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, you must be well qualified with a score of at least 85 for this position.
For information on CTAP/ICTAP, visit:
Additional selections of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement, for filling additional or similar positions. However if there are no qualified Indian Preference candidates on the Certificate the vacancy must be reannounced.
Candidates must meet time-after-competitive appointment, time-in-grade (if applicable), qualification requirements, licensure requirements , performance requirements, citizenship and suitability requirements, and any other eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints.
After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position.
The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
"IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free!"
HOW TO APPLY:
Back to top
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package, which includes the following parts:
1. Assessment Questionnaire
3. Required Documents (Specified in the Required Documents section of this job announcement. An applicant may not be considered if proper documentation is not received.)
Option A: Online application process (USAJOBS to Application Manager) the preferred method to receive automatic updates on your application status.
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button on this page to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application you may use the following link: https://applicationmanager.gov/
Your Application Package status must be Complete by, Friday, June 15, 2012, the closing date of this announcement.
Option B: Fax
If it is not possible for you to use the USAJOBS Account to Application Manager Account online application process (you have a disability or do not have access to the internet), you can apply for this announcement by completing the OPM 1203-FX form instead. Please use the following step-by-step instructions as a guide to filling out the required questionnaire. You will need to print the vacancy announcement and refer to it as you answer the questions. You may omit any optional information; however, you must provide responses to all required questions. Be sure to double check your application before submission.
Follow these steps:
1. Print a copy of this job announcement so that you can read the questions offline. View Occupational Questionnaire. You can obtain the OPM1203fx form at this URL http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf .
2. You may submit the OPM Form 1203-FX (hard copy questionnaire), résumé, and/or any supporting documents by fax.
• If you are faxing a Form 1203-FX, do not use a separate cover sheet. Simply make sure the Form 1203-FX is on top of any other documents you are faxing.
• If you are faxing any documents without the Form 1203-FX on top, always use the official cover sheet which is here -- http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf -- and be sure to fill it out completely and clearly. The fax number is 1-478-757-3144. Feed all documents into your fax machine top first so that we receive them right-side up.
Faxed documents will take 2-3 business days to process. Faxed documents submitted with missing information will not be processed. The following will prevent your documents from being processed:
• Not using the special cover page mentioned above.
• Missing, incomplete, or invalid Vacancy Identification Number 677138
• Missing or incomplete Social Security Number or name
Note: If you have documents in your Application Manager account from a previous vacancy announcement they can be opened, copied and saved then reused as an upload file for this vacancy. Uploading your documents will speed the processing of your application for this announcement.
PLEASE NOTE: In Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire, you may notice that the numbering restarts with number one. When entering your responses on the 1203-FX form please continue to enter your responses on the next available number within this section. The numbers on the 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire once it restarts with number one.
Submission of a resume' or a 1203FX form alone IS NOT a complete application. This position requires the completion of additional forms and/or supplemental materials as described under Required Documents section. Please carefully review the complete job announcement and the "How to Apply" instructions. Failure to provide the required information and/or materials will result in your application not being considered for employment.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office, Mr. Troy Bad Moccasin, HR. Staffing Officer at PHONE# 605-226-7217, or E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org . "The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis."
You must provide the required documents listed below during the online application process either through the document upload process or fax using instructions outlined in Section B above. If any of the following are missing when the announcement closes we will deem your application incomplete:
• ___Resume -You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed. Guide to Apply for Federal Employment Click here: http://www.gpo.gov/careers/pdfs/of0510.pdf
• ____Indian Preference applicants If claiming Indian preference for the first time, or if you have no previous documentation of preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the current Form BIA -4432 (expiration date: 11/30/2014), "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." The current form (expiration date: 11/30/2014) does not need to be used if an older Form BIA-4432 is submitted with a signature that predates the expiration date on the form. Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA official of tribal enrollment records, documentation of lineal descent, state or academic records that document you posses one-half degree Indian blood from a tribe indigenous to the United States, as well as official records that establish your degree of Indian blood, such as census records. You must also complete the family history chart if necessary. (See the form for detailed instructions for the completion of the BIA form 4432. Please contact your tribal enrollment officer or your local BIA Office for your most current form.)
• ___Response to Assessment Questionnaire.
Applicants may submit optional documents and place these under Miscellaneous: Such as performance reviews, copies of job-related certifications, cover letter, letters of recommendation, SF-50. Suggest documents submitted are job-related and current.
PLEASE NOTE: IF selected, applicant may be required to submit additional documents to confirm their submitted application has met the position’s educational and eligibility requirements (if any). These materials could include official transcripts, copy of license or certification, the Child Care Addendum Form, and/or veteran’s preference documentation, all of which are now a part of the pre-appointment process. This means the tentative job offer would be contingent upon receipt of these materials within a 24 hour time frame or offer is subject to withdrawal.
IN ADDITION: All information provided by the candidate will be verified, Reference checks will be conducted from current and past supervisors on tentative selectees.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Indian Health Service HR Center
522 Minnesota Ave NW
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
First notification: Once the online questionnaire and resume are received, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successfully received. Receipt of this email does not confirm receipt of any other required document(s).
We will review your résumé and supporting documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification & eligibility requirements.
Second notification: You will be notified of your status when the list of candidates has been referred to the hiring manager for employment consideration.
Additional notification: for those referred to the hiring manager. We will keep you updated on the status using the online alert system. When a tentative offer is made, the selectee must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. The "tentative" new employee will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to drive status updates notification for applicants. You can elect to activate the proactive notification from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process to sign-up for automatic alerts when there are status changes for jobs to which you have applied.