Public Welcome at SMSC’s Upcoming Spring Blood Drive April 12, 2012
Prior Lake, MN – The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community will hold a spring blood drive on Thursday, April 12, 2012, from 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. at Dakotah! Sport and Fitness. The general public as well as tribal staff and members of Dakotah! Sport and Fitness are invited to give blood.
Please call the SMSC Wellness Coordinators at 952-233-2965 to make an appointment to give blood; only a limited number of walk-ins will be accepted.
Every day donated blood is used to save lives; every two seconds someone in America has a need for a blood transfusion. More than 90% of Americans will require a blood transfusion for themselves or an immediate family member sometime in their life. Since blood is perishable and cannot be synthetically created, new donations of all blood types are needed daily.
The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community, as an active participant in the local community, holds several blood drives each year to help save lives. For more than 24 years the SMSC has sponsored blood drives. An employees-only blood drive will also be held Friday, April 6, 2012, at a different location.
A summer blood drive is planned for Tuesday, August 14, 2012, with a holiday blood drive scheduled to take place on Tuesday, December 11, 2012.
Basic requirements to donate include:
- You must feel well for at least three days after a cold or flu
- You must be off antibiotics for at least 24 hours before giving
- You must weigh at least 110 pounds
- Eat a meal in the 6 hours before you donate
- Get a good night's sleep the night before you donate
- Wait at least 56 days from your last donation
- Bring a valid photo ID to your appointment
- No new tattoos for one year