Grants & Contracts Accountant - Red Lake Tribal Accounting Department
Grants & Contracts Accountant
Tribal Accounting Department
Red Lake, MN 56671
December 12, 2011
Open Until Filled
Assist with handling the financial and compliance needs of the Federal and State agency programs. Full-time w/ benefits, reports to Director of Finance.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties:
Review program budgets and expenditures for accuracy and compliance with appropriate laws and regulations.
• Grant funds must be spent in accordance with the budget approved by the grantor.
• Project Directors/Coordinators must track expenditures locally and compare with monthly budget summaries provided to them by the Grant Accountant to ensure accuracy.
• Expenditures in individual budget lines should never exceed agency appropriations.
• Work with Program Directors to develop budgets.
• Monitor the budget monthly to ensure that spending is consistent with the approved budget.
• If the grant requires a General Fund match, ensure that this amount is established in time for the annual budget process.
• Prepare/submit requests to funder to amend original grant budgets.
• Ensure that grant expenditures do not exceed budget.
• Responsible for the financial reporting of various Federal and State agency programs.
• Assist program directors with reporting, modifications, budgeting and other tasks as needed.
• Update program directors on the financial status of their programs on a regular basis.
• Notify the Director of Finance in advance of any expected grant over-expenditures.
• Provide monthly financial reports to program staff.
• Provide requested documentation and information to the auditors in a timely fashion.
• Ensure that grant funds are drawn down in a timely fashion to minimize General Fund cash advances.
• General funds should not be expended for grant purchases with the expectation that grant funds will reimburse.
• Process and track grant expenditures.
• Review original documentation, verify coding, reconcile expenditures, and prepare reports.
• Help to ensure compliance with accounting policies, local, state, and federal requirements.
• Notify the Program Director of all potential or actual audit exceptions.
• Provide monitoring and monthly reporting of grant expenditures.
• Review travel to ensure compliance with Travel Policy.
• Split-funded employees must complete timesheets indicating time worked for each funding source.
• Employees funded by a single source must complete a Time Certification every six months. This document will state that the employee spent 100% of their time on grant activities and must be submitted to HR in a timely fashion.
• Ensure that programs follow the Procurement Policy where bids or quotes are required.
• Ensure that all expenditures of Federal funds are supported by receipts.
• All official reports to the granting agency that require signatures must be signed by a tribal officer.
• Prepare year-end closing schedules and journal entries in a timely fashion to expedite the SEFA (Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards), related balance sheet accounts, and the statement of revenue and expenditures for the audit.
• Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work and attendance at meetings or training that requires travel.
• Other related projects and tasks as assigned.
• High School Diploma or GED
• Two years experience or combination of experience, training, and education in accounting
• Knowledge of governmental grant/contract principles and procedures necessary to complete pre-award, award, and post-award functions preferred.
• Basic computer skills in word processing and spreadsheets
• Must be detail oriented
To Apply: Applications (resumes w/ application) are accepted at Red Lake Human Resources Department - P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 – Phone: (218) 679-1847 Fax: (218) 679-4176