Juvenile Prosecutor - Red Lake Nation Tribal Court
Red Lake Nation Tribal Court
Red Lake, MN 56671
Open: October 25, 2011
Closes: Friday, November 4th, 2011
Responsible for prosecution of juvenile delinquents and status offenders. Part-time, reports to Chief Prosecutor.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties:
• Review police reports to determine if a delinquency complaint should be issued as a warrant of arrest or if the juvenile and his/her parent should be summoned into Court.
• Assemble the case file according to incident date and docket number, prepares the case for pre-trial and trial.
• Prepare, process 72-hour hold procedures.
• Attend and present at Red Lake Tribal Court.
• Initiate or maintain contract with victim, witnesses, schools, defense, Red Lake Law Enforcement and Red Lake Family & Children Services.
• Prepare all children in need of protective services (CHIPS) petitions, and the preparation and presentation of child removal proceedings (8 day hearings).
• Prepare child victims, family members and police officers concerning the line of questioning they will be presented with in Court.
• Prepare all Motions and Notices of intervention for Indian Child Welfare Act Cases, assists in the development of a Juvenile Code and facilitates community education.
• Actively participate on the Juvenile Code Committee, Tribe/School Collaborative Committee, Tribal Advisory Board and the Multi-Disciplinary Team.
• Maintain an unquestionable level of confidentiality.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or equivalent; one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Excellent organizational skills in handling multiple tasks.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to handle stressful situations in a professional manner.
• Adhere to and have knowledge of the Data Privacy Act.
• Must be of high moral character to uphold the integrity of the Court.
• Computer knowledgeable using various software and other office machines used in the Courtroom, including transcribing machines.
• Knowledgeable in the Tribal Codes and ordinances. Knowledge in the Indian Child Welfare Act, legal procedures and legal document drafting.
• Must pass a background investigative check
To Apply: Applications (resumes w/ application) are accepted at Red Lake Human Resources Department - P.O. Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 - (218) 679-1847 * (218) 679-4176 Fax