Red Lake Hospital: Tips for preventing Heat-Related Illness
The best defense is prevention: Here are some prevention tips:
• Drink more fluids (nonalcoholic), regardless of your activities level.
• Don’t drink liquids that contain alcohol or large amount of sugar-these actually cause you to lose more body fluids. Also avoid very cold drinks, causes stomach cramps
• Stay indoors and if possible, stay in air conditioned place
• Electric fans may provide comfort, if temp is in the high 90’s fans will not prevent heat-related illness. Taking a cold shower may help
• Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle
• Please check on your infants, children, and elderly.
If you must be out in the heat:
• Limit your outdoors activity to morning and evening hours.
• Cut down on exercise. If you need to exercise drink plenty of water.
• Try to rest in shady areas
• Protect yourself with sun screens