PUBLIC DEFENDER - RED LAKE NATION TRIBAL COURT
February 7, 2017
RED LAKE NATION TRIBAL COURT
Open: February 6, 2017
Closing: February 17, 2017 @ 3:00 p.m.
The Public Defender shall represent, without charge, parents or custodians in child protection cases as appointed by Judges of the Court with the consent of the defendant. Shall take all necessary steps to investigate the facts to make sure each case is fairly represented. Reports to Court Administrator, full-time position w/benefits, salary; DOQ.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Shall prepare or assist in motions, memorandums of law, petitions and other legal documents. Deals with prosecution in the negotiation of pleas, which are fair on behalf of clients representing
• Recommends appropriate sentences for convicted offenders to the Court, represents the client in filing appeals where warranted
• Responsible for communicating and performing publicly to carry out program needs
• Responsible for presenting statement of facts, laws and arguments in a clear and logical manner both in written and/or oral format
• Responsible for recognizing sensitive and complex issues relating to Court cases and handle efficiently
• Responsible for understanding criminal and civil cases and defend cases in accordance with existing laws
• Responsible for displaying a high level of judgment and proficiency relating to Court cases
• Responsible for knowledge pertaining to the appellate process when defending clients
• Responsible for monthly submission(s) of court statistics
• Possess the ability to research matters of the law independently
• May be assigned other duties relating to Court matters.
• B.A. degree Criminal Justice and/or related field from a four-year college or university; or one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Knowledgeable of the Tribal Code, Ordinances, Tribal customs, traditions, constitution in order to protect the sovereignty and customs of the Tribe and rights of the people.
• Knowledgeable of court documents such as warrants, subpoenas, and other related legal documents
• Knowledgeable of computers using various software in order to articulate written motions and correspondence for clients
• Possess high moral character to uphold the integrity of the Court
• Must be able to handle stressful situations in a professional manner
• Must pass a background investigative check without any felony convictions
• Must abide to the Red Lake Band/Tribal Courts Drug Policy.
• Employment contingent upon successfully passing Pre-Employment Drug/Alcohol Test and Background Check.
TO APPLY: Applications and copies of certificates are accepted at Government Center – Human Resources Department, PO Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 – Fax (218) 679-4176.