2 - GUARDIAN AD LITEM - RED LAKE NATION TRIBAL COURTS
February 7, 2017
2 - GUARDIAN AD LITEM
RED LAKE NATION TRIBAL COURTS
Open: February 6, 2017
Closing: February 17, 2017 @ 3:00 p.m.
The Guardian Ad Litem is responsible for providing advocacy for minor children regarding Child Protection Court Proceedings by making recommendations to the Court in regards to the best interest of the minor child. The Guardian Ad Litem conducts interviews and observes the child(ren) and significant people in their lives also, reviews social services, medical, school, psychological reports and criminal records to draft regular reports to the court. Reports to Court Administrator, full-time position w/benefits, salary; DOQ.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepares child focused status reports as requested by the Red Lake Nation Tribal Court.
• Makes recommendations to the Court in the child's best interest.
• Testify when needed to support recommendation or to inform the court of changes in the child's situation.
• Communicate with community-based service providers to ascertain best interests of the child(ren).
• Implement and maintain case files dates to ensure proper case/client management system is up to date and in a neat and legible manner.
• Gather and assess independent information about the child's situation and needs by
1. Getting to know the child.
2. Interviewing parents, caretakers, social workers, teachers and service providers.
3. Reading records related to the child and family.
• Attend all Court Proceedings and Meetings regarding the child(ren).
• Seek cooperative solutions with other participants in the child's case.
• Keep the child informed and/or facilitate the child's participation in court hearings.
• Participates in meetings, in-service training, staff development, and other professional growth activities as required or needed.
• MAINTAIN CONFIDENTIALITY AT ALL TIMES.
• Perform other duties as assigned and as needed.
• High School Diploma/GED
• Previous experience in law enforcement, courts, probation, social work or closely related to these fields.
• Basic written and oral communications skills.
• Must possess the ability to be objective and non-judgmental.
• Knowledge of Red Lake Nation Tribal Court and Tribal Code/Ordinances.
• Computer literate, including Windows, Microsoft Office (Word and Outlook) etc.
• All applicants are subject to the Tribe's Drug and Alcohol Free Work Place Policy.
• Be able to work, on occasion, after hours and on weekends to monitor client compliance.
• Must have a valid Minnesota State issued driver's license, reliable transportation and automobile insurance.
• Employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug test and comprehensive background check.
TO APPLY: Applications and copies of certificates are accepted at Government Center – Human Resources Department, PO Box 546, Red Lake, MN 56671 – Fax (218) 679-4176.